First, focus on any essential projectsRight from the start, you might be tempted to jump right into a kitchen or bathroom remodel. After all, you’re in your kitchen every single day—you know just how much it needs a makeover. Before you invest in this type of remodeling, you should really prioritize spending your money, time, and attention. It might sound boring, but replacing your failing garage door or fixing a leaking roof should come first.
Looking for a quick fix to feel motivated? Here are some great ideas to add instant curb appeal.Most essential home projects have a high ROI, because many of them make it possible for you to sell your home. Major home issues like structural damage or a bad roof should be fixed before listing a home for sale.
If your home’s cooling and heating systems need to be replacedTake care of that project before you invest in other areas of your home. Yes, a seemingly mundane furnace replacement isn’t going to stand out when people tour your home, however, you’ll have a much easier time selling it when they start looking over the finer details. Plus, you’ll be able to enjoy a more comfortable and efficient home until then.
Refresh your kitchen and bathroomOnce you’ve completed any essential items, you can move onto the fun stuff: remodeling your kitchen and bathroom. Not surprisingly, these two spaces are typically at the top of most homeowner’s to-do lists. Generally speaking, kitchen and bathroom remodels have a high ROI and can have a major impact on your home’s value. The key to getting the most possible value out of your renovation is setting a scope and staying within your budget. Yes, you can build the kitchen of your dreams by putting an extra ten thousand dollars into the project. But, if you’re not going to get that money back when you sell your home, that might not be the wisest investment. Any successful kitchen remodel involves new cabinets and countertops. Be Happy Property Services is here to assist you in recommending high-quality materials and expert installation: cutting corners on granite, quartz, or cabinetry can lead to a shoddy finish and reduced value. You’ll likely spend up to half of your total budget on these materials, but there are ways to save money. In either room, limit the scope of the project to contain your total overhead. For example, you may not have the budget to replace both the tub and the shower, so just replace the shower and put your remaining money into new floors, a bathroom vanity, and new lighting fixtures. If you’re planning on staying in your home for at least a little while, you can also break the project into phases. Some homeowners remodel most of the kitchen first, and then wait a bit before buying new appliances and putting the finishing touches on the project.
Change your backyard for the betterThe backyard is really a major selling point of so many homes. The right backyard can be an inviting space that connects the home to the beauty of the outdoors—especially in the nicest times of the year. A new deck can add significant value to your home. If your home isn’t built for a deck, instead re-imagine your patio. A built-in grill, a gas-lit fire pit, and a cooking prep area can transform your backyard into the place to be in the summer, while also making your home more attractive and valuable. When it comes to value-boosting home upgrades, the list is nearly limitless. Give us a call for a free estimate. We are more than happy to point you in the right direction, showing you what other local homeowners are doing. With our help, you’ll be able to prioritize what projects you should take on first. Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all! 907-336-7434.
1. High Risk of Damage to Property During ExcavationOne of the major reasons it is inadvisable to DIY when it comes to excavation projects is that there is a high risk of damaging your own property. It is not uncommon for a professional team of excavators to be called in after a homeowner’s already damaged their home or landscaping. So, to avoid having your utilities, home, or something else severely damaged, call in the professionals. Be Happy Property Services is licensed, bonded, and insured, allowing you to have peace of mind!
2. Right Excavation, Right EquipmentWhen it comes to excavation, a shovel and post hole digger isn’t enough, but that is often all a regular homeowner will have available. With Be Happy Property Services, our professional contractors are equipped with everything they need to complete the job - from start to finish.
3. No Liability For Damage or InjuryAs most property owners have never engaged in excavation, the likelihood of personal injury or damage increases. If things become damaged or someone becomes injured doing the job, the property owner will be held liable. Here at Be Happy Property Services, we are licensed, bonded and insured. That way, should something unexpectedly go wrong, you won’t be on the hook for the cost of fixing it, as our insurance will cover any issues.
4. Reduce Risks Of ErosionPost-excavation, there can be significant risk of soil erosion. However, with professional excavation services, that risk can be greatly reduced, giving you greater peace of mind protecting your excavated site. So, if you are looking for a top-notch team of professionals for your next excavation project, be sure to contact Be Happy Property Services. We are ready to help you with all your excavation landscaping needs! Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all! 907-336-7434.
1. Clean, or possibly replace, your gutters.Real talk: You're so used to your gutters working properly — and draining gallons of water from your roof yearly — that you forget they could use a little TLC. If they're clogged, you can end up with a flooded interior and damaged exterior. So clean them, and if necessary, replace them. A little prevention can save you headaches and money. 2. Check for drafts. Heat loss through windows is responsible for 25-30 percent of heating energy use, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. But it doesn't have to be that way, because weatherstripping is simple and probably the most cost-effective way to keep heating costs down. Pro tip: To check if you have a draft issue, close a door or window on a strip of paper. If the paper slides easily, you need to update your weatherstripping.
3. Drain your outdoor faucets.Say it with me now: "I will turn off all outdoor faucets before winter!" Drain and disconnect all garden hoses from outside spigots to prevent any water freezing. Not doing this can result to pipes bursting, so yeah, do this.
4. Bring your outdoor furniture in.Yes, your furniture is outdoor furniture. No, that does not mean you should test the label by leaving it outside through freezing weather and snow drifts. It costs you money and time to set that outdoor space up, so if you want to get another summer season out of it, store it in a garage or shed. If you don't have anywhere to store the items, cover it with waterproof covers.
5. Fix any cracks in your driveway.I know, I know — this seems tedious and is one of those things where you're like, "eh, it'll be fine!". But, it could very easily not be fine. When water gets into cracks it freezes, expands, and can make the crack even bigger. Enough small cracks can turn into big cracks, and eventually, the concrete will crumble. Plus, you'd probably prefer a driveway without a giant pothole. So, use a concrete crack sealer, fill it up and be done with it.
6. Change your filtersOuch! Another thing in your house that might be costing you more money then it should be. If your filters are clogged, it's harder to keep your home at the temperature you want it to be, which will increase your heating bills. Clean these filters monthly, not just before the fall, and thank me later. FYI: Disposable filters can be vacuumed one time before you replace it, and foam filters can just be vacuumed and not replaced.
7. Fertilize your lawn.You know what they say: The best offense is a good defense. If you want to keep your lawn looking great in the spring and summer, you need to prep it for the fall and winter. Roots are still active when the grass isn't growing, so applying fertilizer will prevent winter damage. Doing this will also help your lawn turn green faster in the spring, which is crucial, because who wants to look at a sad lawn once it gets nice out?
8. Test winter equipment.Hi, I'm here from the future, where your snow blower isn't working and you're stuck inside and can't get your car out to buy a new one. Seriously, just check it all now, and make your life easier later.
9. Change your batteries.Once a year you should be checking to make sure all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide devices are working. Since you're already testing everything else out, you might as well add this on. Hope this helps and adds something to your fall/winter checklist. Feel free to contact us for all your home and property services. Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all! 907-336-7434.
Clearly define your home remodeling project
Ask homeowners in your neighborhood
Look at online reviews
Don’t set a minimum (or maximum) number of estimates
Busy can be a good sign
Trust your instincts
Go with a pro
Ask how long the contractor has been in business
Review past jobs
Check the BBB and trade organizations
Verify insurance, licensing and permits
Ask about check-ins
Get it in writing
Price isn’t everything
Be specific about financing
Know exactly who is doing the work
Ask about materials up front
Who will be at your home while work is performed?
Ask about the what-ifs
Know what happens if you’re unhappy
- When your floor needs to be replaced
- The roof is leaking
- Your home feels too crowded or too empty
- The paint looks dingy and starts to chip
- The house feels out-dated
- Your kitchen and bathrooms look old
1. When your floor needs to be replaced.The first sign that your home needs a renovation is when your floors tiling system is starting to detach. The detachment of the tiles only means that the tile grouting is already wearing off. The more common rooms that will need new floors are bathrooms and kitchens. You can also change up the design and add some wood floors; wood not only looks great, but it’s good for resale. Wood floors can have a great return on your investment. Carpet in high traffic areas should be replaced every 10 years. The look of carpet that needs to be replaced can make your home look like it’s in desperate need of a remodel. By replacing the carpet or adding hardwood flooring, it will significantly update the look and feel of your home.
2. The roof is leaking!Leakages in your roofing system mean two things: One, the roofing installer and service that you hired is no good, and two – the roofing system of your home is already old and rotten. Either way, your roof needs fixing and renovating. Roofing companies work in squares, which is a 10×10 foot area, 100 square feet. The more square feet your roof is, the more it will cost to replace. If your home has vinyl siding and the paint is chipping, then it’s time to repaint the exterior of your home.
3. Your home feels too crowded or too empty.Have you ever encountered coming home to your house and you feel weird, and something is off? When people encounter this, they often feel that their house is either crowded or too spacious. Note that when this happens to you, it only means that your house needs refreshing. You may actually renovate your home by simply re-organizing all the things and belongings inside your home.
4. The paint looks dingy and starts to chip.Another factor that could explicitly mean that your home needs remodeling is when the interior or exterior paint starts to become worn down, dirty, and chipping. It only shows that external factors are already affecting your home negatively. These factors could be dirt and chemicals. Aside from the fact that this circumstance means that your home is deteriorating already, it could also mean that you need to regard and renovate and clean things inside your home. Apply a fresh layer of paint to your walls on the inside and exterior of your home. Repaint the baseboards and crown molding if needed. Touch up your kitchen cabinets and other areas in the kitchen and bathrooms. Having freshly painted walls and baseboards can take years off the look of your home. If the white is starting to yellow, a nice coat of white paint will do wonders for updating your home’s look.
5. The house feels out-dated.
If you see lots of shiny gold door handles or shiny gold finish on anything really, then it’s about time to start a new remodel project to modernize your home. Older bathrooms will have gold everything, facets, door handles, bathtubs, and shower fixtures. This was a popular design in the 1990s but feels very out-dated in 2021.You can buy oil rubbed bronze or brushed nickel faucets, door knobs, and other bathroom and kitchen accessories fairly cheap. They are easy to install and can usually be completed in 10 minutes or less. New modern fans and light fixtures can be found on Amazon for under $100. These improvements will have a big impact and make your home feel much newer than before.
6. Your kitchen and bathrooms look old.These are the most important rooms in the home, not only for homeowners but also for home bu yers. If you have a very outdated looking kitchen or bathrooms, your home will feel old. You should modernize these rooms and bring them up to date. Give us a call at Be Happy Property Services about your kitchen remodel and renovation project. Bathroom remodeling usually includes new sinks, flooring, shower walls, faucets, toilets, etc. Like a kitchen remodel, the homeowner’s costs are moderate, with a huge payoff. Not only will your house have a great interior design and be up-to-date, but it will also be worth more if you ever decide to sell. The bottom line is these signs can be very minimal and too “normal” to be seen and noticed in entirety. However, once your home shows these kinds of signs, it only means that your home is starting to deteriorate and needs home remodeling. If you feel like it’s time for a home remodeling project, give us a call for a free estimate. While you can do many upgrades on your own, many projects will need the help of a professional, licensed, and bonded remodeling company to ensure the job is done right, and we would love to help! Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all!
Discover the Kitchen Design Trends of 2021 for Your Next Kitchen RenovationDiscover the new kitchen design trends that are kicking 2021 off to a great start. If you are planning a kitchen renovation, this past year has highlighted several ways we need to use our kitchens to incorporate both remote learning and work. From more workspace in order to use the area for multiple tasks, to getting more creative, here are some new kitchen renovation trends you will enjoy.
ColorsKitchens have become a centerpiece in our homes as we gather for every meal, have endless zoom calls, and virtual hangouts. Your kitchen can be an office or a classroom, so the addition of warm or colorful colors from the walls, décor, cabinets, and back splashes will make your space feel homier while showing your unique taste and personality.
WorkspacesAfter spending a year working and learning remotely, the spaces in your home matter more than ever. A kitchen counter can be turned into a multi-use workspace between meals. The same goes for your kitchen table.
As you plan your kitchen renovation, take into consideration all the ways you used these spaces over the last year.
Storage SpaceBanish the clutter! With the kitchen busier than ever, the need for clutter to be cleaned up and put away is becoming more urgent. Many kitchens have an open floor space concept, but this leaves few options to store belongings. Having an island in your kitchen, adding cabinetry (such as minimalist wall to wall cabinets), or clean-lined cabinets can add tons of storage to your kitchen -- without taking up too much space in the room. From storage, décor, and functionality—2021 has many demands for our kitchens. This is the year to complete those projects you planned last year and to finally make the kitchen you and your family needs and deserves. With the help of a professional handyman from Be Happy Property Services, your options are limitless. Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all!
Landscapes are Good for the Air and Water
- Did you know that grass and trees are hard at work every day capturing dust and smoke particles, removing carbon dioxide, and producing life-giving oxygen? In fact, a single tree can remove 26 pounds of carbon dioxide from the air every year, canceling out the emissions of driving a car 11,000 miles. So, planting grass and trees is one simple way that all of us can help protect the environment!
- Another interesting fact supporting landscapes with trees is that one tree can also supply enough oxygen for four people every day. What a great reason to plant a tree!
- With the storm season in full swing, lush landscapes can actually help. They act as storm water runoff buffers, reducing the flow of sediments and pollutants to nearby bodies of water. In effect, plants help filter out pollution from the water on its way to a city’s source of drinking water. Woody plants along shorelines also reduce erosion and flooding downstream.
Outdoor Living Areas Improve Quality of Life
- Landscaping improves quality of life with several physical and psychological benefits. For example, just looking at plants is shown to reduce blood pressure. Walking through a natural environment, even in the middle of a city, improves attention and memory. People living in neighborhoods with community green spaces report lower stress levels and lower healthcare costs.
Landscapes Offer Economic Benefits
- Did you know that businesses that have high-quality landscapes tend to be more successful? It’s true! Customers claim to spend more money on goods and services if the commercial building has a high-quality tree canopy; and shoppers say they’re willing to travel longer distances to shop in a district with better landscaping. They also say they stay longer once they arrive if the landscaping is peaceful.
- As a homeowner, you are looking for ways to gain the best benefit for your investment. When you landscape your yard, you can rest assured that your investment will increase your home’s market value. Home buyers are usually willing to spend more on a house if it has professional landscaping, both front and back.
Water Features Make Landscaping One-of-a-Kind
- Aesthetically pleasing water features placed in your landscape can add unique texture, natural sounds, and new wildlife to your property. Finding the perfect backdrop for any outdoor living area can help turn a boring landscape into one the neighbors or community will remember.
- Water features also require very little maintenance and don’t consume a lot of water thanks to circulating pumps.
Retaining Walls Prevent Erosion
- If your property is located on a hill, a retaining wall prevents elevated soil from sliding toward the building when it rains. The barrier is practical, but it can also add to the appearance of your landscaping.
- Retaining walls can create tiered pathways, spots for additional seating or a creative garden area. In some cases, a retaining wall may provide privacy too.
- Many different materials are available for retaining walls, offering design flexibility for your property. The experts at The Grounds Guys can offer numerous suggestions that will be sure to meet your needs.