With Year 2022 looking so promising (it isn’t 2020 or 2021, so yes, promising), you may have set yourself all kinds of resolutions and goals, whether it’s spending more time with family or changing careers. However, if you’re a homeowner, you may want to undertake a home improvement project. Not only can updating your home boost your property’s resale value, but you can also save money on energy, and be more eco-friendly too. If you’re not sure where to start, here are five of the best home improvement projects to undertake in 2022.
Luxury master bathrooms resemble expensive resort spas in many ways, but they don’t have to be extravagant. For example, you can choose between a jetted tub and an old-fashioned soaking tub, install a steam shower with a bench or a zero entry glass enclosed shower and a rain-forest spray head. There are budget-friendly options for additional storage and fog-resistant lighted mirrors. You can even integrate smart technology into your master bath—for a lighting, sound, or multimedia experience! Your bathroom should, of course, cater to your individual needs and be compatible with your home’s current architecture and design. But it should also delight the senses, calm the spirit, and refresh the body. A bathroom renovation can make it possible for you to enjoy a personal spa retreat that is functional and pampering at the same time! Think of it as an investment, not only in pleasure but also in value. Sophisticated spa bathrooms do not have to be overly large. Instead, they should be calming, attractive, and uncluttered. Focus on your unique preferences, and the result will be a timeless example of your personal taste. Personalize your bath as an efficient bathing and grooming center, and add the extras that will allow it to serve as a soothing retreat from the demands of a busy lifestyle.
Make no mistake, with proper planning, your remodeled bath will perform well on both counts.Here are some design ideas to consider as you plan your spa-inspired bathroom renovation:
The Perks of a Second VanityEven if there’s no need for two people to use the bathroom at the same time, there’s no question that having a personal sink, with ample countertop and storage to accommodate individual items, is a bonus for any couple sharing a bath. Much of the time, it’s possible to create room for an additional vanity without altering the footprint. However, if necessary, it is possible to gain space by relocating a closet, reconfiguring the existing floor plan, or moving a portion of a wall to steal some space from an adjoining room.
Tub and Shower DilemmaAlthough a tub/shower combination is functional, there is something much more appealing about having both. It’s unnecessary to incorporate a room-size steam shower and a jetted tub into your space, especially if it doesn’t fit into your budget. A modest-sized shower paired with a deep soaking tub can be every bit as appealing. With the availability of ceiling mounted flexible shower-heads and standard-size jetted tubs, it’s possible to gain an at-home spa in almost any master bathroom.
Long Term Sensible ImprovementsWhile efficiency and aesthetics are frequently cited as reasons for wanting to redo a bathroom, sometimes physical needs and health concerns are the primary reason for planning a remodel. Think not only about special needs but also about the wisdom of planning for the future. Consider adding a bench in the shower, or a full-body array of water jets to massage aches and pains and aid circulation. Hydro features are some of the best options to consider for enjoyment right now and in the future. We aren’t getting any younger - investigate aging-in-place options for your bathroom remodel. A little preplanning for our future needs, such as curbless showers, walk-in spa tubs, comfort-height toilets, grab bars, blade-handled faucets, and motion-activated lighting can be tastefully designed into your space without looking like a hospital room. Many of these fixtures and amenities are not only aesthetically pleasing but add comfort, security and safety to your bathroom space. You might also want to consider mood-altering and multi-level lighting fixtures, a panic button connected to an in-home or monitored alarm system, wider doorways, and easily accessible electrical plugs and switches. Current trends indicate that more and more homeowners want to remain in their own homes as long as possible. Incorporating these features or similar amenities in your home now, will make prolonged comfort and safety in your home easier.
Lighting is LifeBathrooms with large windows or skylights (or even outdoor access) are considered the ultimate indulgence by many homeowners. Physicians and mental health specialists confirm what us Alaskans know is true - that natural light and outdoor views have both physical and emotional benefits. If you cannot bring natural light into your existing bath, today, you can simulate that light with modern electrical fixtures. You can even incorporate changeable, mood-altering lighting into your shower, and take your pick of soft-pink, bright white, or natural golden light bulbs for fixtures. Like other home spaces, a bathroom will benefit from different “layers” of lighting: clear and bright for shaving and makeup needs, softer ambient lighting for overall illumination, and dimmable mood lighting that encourages relaxation.
Material MattersFunctional master bath improvements are all critical, but so are the materials and finishes you choose. Forego the trendy, and opt instead for organic, natural materials that will stand the test of time. As an alternative, investigate newer composite materials that mimic the look of natural stone or wood but are easier to maintain. Tile may be a traditional choice for showers, but seamless shower enclosures require minimal upkeep. As an option, glass enclosures open up a small space are also easy to maintain. Whether your style tends toward rustic, modern, industrial, classic or eclectic, know that you can find vanities, tubs, faucets, flooring, and lighting that will speak to your design preferences.
Soothing AccessoriesBright colors and too many patterns can be distracting in a space meant to evoke calm and relaxation. Earth tones are soothing and grounding, but that doesn’t necessarily mean beige. Consider soothing greens and blues, the golden hues of wheat fields, and the misty tones of early morning skies or fading daylight at dusk as prime choices for a comforting, relaxing ambiance in your spa retreat. Keep accessories minimal — maybe just candles and a favorite painting on the wall. Add fluffy towels and your favorite personal care products in pretty containers, and your spa oasis will be complete.
How Be Happy Property Services Can HelpEvery remodeling project begins with a plan, and evaluating your existing space. Start by prioritizing your pain points, and consider how much you can afford. Be ready to discuss what you would like to change, add, or improve. We invite you to schedule a conversation to explore ideas with us, Anchorage’s first choice for design-build remodeling. Looking for financing options? We have you covered with Acorn Financing. Apply for Financing on Your Project Today! Tags: bathroom remodel, Bathroom Renovation, Anchorage construction, Spa Bathroom, Spa Features for Alaskan bathrooms, Anchorage bathroom remodel, Be Happy Property Services
If you're embarking on renovations on a tight budget, it can be hard to decide what to do first.
Find Your Decorating StyleThe vast majority of people who purchase fixer-upper homes do so for financial reasons. This financial reality, however, can present a perplexing challenge when moving into a home that's in need of a little (or a lot) of TLC. Which renovation projects should you focus on first if your budget is tight? And why? Here's what the Be Happy Property Service insiders had to say, along with a few tips on how to get organized as you embark on your fixer-upper face lift.
Before You Start RemodelingFirst things first: It's essential to understand what work should be done for safety reasons and to prevent costly challenges down the road. The best way to do this is to have a professional assess your newly purchased home and use that insight to develop a game plan. Hire an inspector to look for potential issues or hazards with electrical, plumbing, and the roof. It's a good idea to start with the structure and take care of items like electrical, which can be a potential fire hazard, as well as plumbing issues so that you don't end up with major problems or damage in the future. You will not see a great transformation, but it brings peace of mind.
1. Refresh Rooms with PaintOnce you've addressed safety matters, you can turn your attention to aesthetic renovation projects and upgrades. Adding a new coat of paint throughout your home can make a big difference without a big investment. A fresh coat of paint on walls goes a long way, we can feel rejuvenated and visualize a clean slate to start a new chapter. You can paint walls, cabinets, or even your front door for a fresh new look. The best part: a paint project can cost as little as $50, depending on the scope. For an added style boost, consider painting an accent or focal wall, which is generally the wall you first see when entering a room. It might also be the wall where your sofa or your bed is located.
2. Install New FlooringAnother project that can make a tremendous and immediate difference in a fixer-upper is flooring. Not only will new flooring brighten a fixer-upper visually, but tackling this type of change early on can be much easier logistically. Once you've moved in and your furniture and personal belongings fill every room, redoing flooring can be challenging at best.
One additional consideration: the color you select for your flooring or floor stain will also help set the stage for future updates in your home.
3. Upgrade the ExteriorExterior upgrades are also an important consideration for fixer-uppers and can be more affordable than interior changes, which often require costly plumbing, electrical, and other system improvements. The 2020 U.S. Houzz & Home Study found that 21% of renovating homeowners tackled roofing, windows and skylights, and exterior paint projects at a median spend of $8,000, $3,900, and $1,000, respectively.
4. Remodel Your KitchenIt's no secret that kitchens are often among the priciest renovations homeowners embark upon—because who doesn't want a dream kitchen with all of the bells and whistles right? The good news is that a kitchen renovation doesn't have to cost a small fortune. You might want to prioritize your spending on this space given just how big of a role kitchens play in everyday life.
5. Replace WindowsInstalling new windows might not be the cheapest project to tackle initially, but this is an improvement that can pay for itself over the long run by saving you money on utility bills. It is really that simple and logical. Old windows might have air leaks, which can increase your bills.
6. Repair Drywall and CeilingsYet another home improvement project to consider early on for logistical reasons is major drywall or ceiling repairs, including moving walls. Just like flooring, this type of work is best tackled before moving in. Removing popcorn ceiling texture? It's a messy job and much easier to do when you don't have to worry about getting furniture or floors wet and dirty. Whether you choose to start with new flooring, kitchen renovations, updated ceilings, or drywall, look to Be Happy Property Services for all your remodel needs.
Final ConsiderationsBuying a fixer-upper can be a wise way to get into home ownership for the budget savvy. It can be a monumental undertaking and a labor of love, particularly if you intend to stay in the home for the long haul rather than simply flip it in a few years. No matter which group you're in, make sure you thoroughly understand the work that needs to be done, and why, before diving into any project. After all, mistakes can be costly and if your budget is already tight, it's best to spend your money wisely as a new homeowner. Doing this requires being educated about your choices. Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all! 907-336-7434.
The 2022 Color Forecast Is Centered Around Warm, Nostalgic TonesSherwin-Williams has officially debuted their 2022 Colormix Forecast, a nuanced prediction of the colors that will reign supreme in homes around the world next year. "The 2022 forecast is composed of 40 hues and four palettes—Method, Opus, Dreamland, and Ephemera," the brand shared in a press release. "The palettes tell stories about sustainability, deep and spiritual maximalism, the connection between technology and mindfulness, and nostalgia for the 1960s to the 1980s." The lauded paint company predicts that these hues will begin a transition away from the muted neutrals that have dominated over the past few years. Instead, we will move towards warmer, more dynamic colorways—because after over a year stuck inside, staring at our own four walls, we are ready for change. According to the brand, 2022 is going to be all about warm (not monochrome!) neutrals, bold metallics, organic greens, and nostalgic reds. Collectively, the forecast is called MODE, and it contains 40 hues and four curated palettes that include Method, Opus, Dreamland, and Ephemera. Let’s dive into the forecast's four palettes, filled with all kinds of inspired, curated shades you will want to add to your home, stat.
MethodA celebration of the outdoors is exactly what we need after a claustrophobic year, which is why this palate, above, alternates between the "organic neutrals and tonal luxury" we often find in nature. You will also see signs of art deco, modern organics, and 1980s postmodernism inside this palette, composed of warm shades.
OpusLeave minimalism behind with the Opus palette, which draws on dark hues and bold metallics, notes the brand. "Blackberry SW 7577 stirs up theatrical marvel, while Iron Ore SW 7069 explores the darker, edgier side of creative expression," explains the press release. These hues embody maximalism at their core—and can create bold, dynamic looks in your home.
DreamlandIf you're looking for a way to embrace "hygge" in 2022, turn to the Dreamland palette. This collection combines soft forms and "modern Scandinavian minimalism" to bring your romantic vision to life. "Dreamland incorporates berry tones and organic greens, like Rosé SW 6290 and Cucuzza Verde SW 9038, which highlight balance and the vernal sweetness of bud and bloom," adds a Sherwin-Williams brand representative.
EphemeraIf you want your indoor spaces to conjure up simpler times, try the Ephemera color story, which evokes "a warm nostalgia and unwavering optimism" by combining the best of what was with the possibility of everything that may yet be. "Unifying retro futurism, meaning, and memory, the Ephemera palette merges colors reminiscent of bygone basics, such as Sierra Redwood SW 7598, Peace Yellow SW 2857 and Basque Green SW 6426," reads the Sherwin-Williams release. Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all! 907-336-7434.
THE BEST ROI HOME IMPROVEMENTSThe best ROI home improvements – get the biggest return on your investment. Want to make sure that renovation is worth it when selling? Real estate experts identify the home improvement areas that will give you substantial returns – and those that don't. The big question everyone wants to know - What are the best ROI home improvements, and will the home improvement you are planning give you a decent return on your investment? These are the questions every savvy home seller should be asking themselves, probably even more so than the more traditional question, "will it add value?" There are many ways to add value to a home that include dozens of different ways to boost your home price. Yet, the bottom line stands true - If you end up sinking substantially more capital than you will ever recoup through a sale, a home improvement will not be a good investment. Conversely, a simple improvement that is inexpensive and requires minimum of effort that gives you back 100 percent is a definite YES. So let us look at the top 4 ROI remodel and improvements you can get starting on doing today.
1. A KITCHEN REMODELNo surprise here, remodeling a kitchen remains one of the home improvements with the highest levels of return on investment. There are estimates that a kitchen remodel, although costly, will return anywhere between 50-75% (or more). If you're deciding between a kitchen and a bathroom remodel, go for the kitchen. The reason is that even if the bathrooms are older, a retail buyer perceives a full kitchen remodel as more valuable and convenient. Buying a house with a newer kitchen (and older bathrooms) means the new homeowner can tackle the bathrooms if/when they're ready, one bathroom at a time. Buyers simply do not want the hassle of a kitchen renovation – If you've ever lived through a kitchen renovation, setting up a makeshift kitchen and having to actually use it, can be a complete nightmare! If you don't want to completely remodel a kitchen, there are other ways to make a big difference when selling. Refacing existing cabinets, swapping old counter tops for new quartz or granite, changing out the hardware, adding a fresh coat of paint, new stainless steel appliances, and more modern, trendy plumbing and electrical fixtures can make all the difference.
2. REFINISHED HARDWOOD FLOORSA great home improvement that can give you a very high ROI – 70-80 percent in many cases. A buyer‘s first impression is critical and doing flooring projects may have a huge impact. You can learn how to refinish hardwood floors yourself, or contact the professionals at Be Happy Property Services. Whatever you do, don't miss an opportunity by covering up an existing wood floor with carpet, which will almost certainly lose you money.
3. A FRESH COAT OF PAINTDon't fancy a huge remodel project? Don't worry – there are plenty of smaller changes you can make that will give you a good return on investment when selling. Exploring fresh paint ideas is one of the easiest ways to prepare your home for a sale. A fresh coat of paint does wonders to the interior of a house. If you are thinking of selling your home, paint the interior before listing it. A fresh coat of light (think whites, light grays and creams) paint to main living spaces can create the feeling of a larger, warmer space.
4. GARDEN LANDSCAPINGDon't forget your outdoor space and its huge potential to give you great returns for not very much investment and effort. Modest backyard landscaping ideas have been known to increase the average ROI. What is meant by modest? Simple landscaping updates that are easy to maintain and won't require your buyer to do lots of gardening. Be Happy Property Services is your #1 pick for landscaping professionals. Think a general tidy-up, a few low-maintenance bushes, and a neat driveway. Mow the lawn, pick up the twigs, weed the flower beds and put down some fresh mulch. Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all! 907-336-7434.
Do you love making a festive showing for the holidays? Does your HOA or neighborhood have a spoken or unspoken friendly competition for the best Christmas lighting display? Decorating your home for the holidays is a great way to create a festive mood for Christmas and beyond. Whether you have an annual tradition of hanging lights on Thanksgiving weekend or you struggle to make the time and squeeze it in when you can, we think you should consider hiring Be Happy Property Services lighting professionals this year. We offer you the six best reasons to let the professionals handle your home’s Christmas decorations:
Burnt Out Bulbs
Baby, It is Cold Outside
Expert Design, Meticulous Installation, Professional Results & We Take Them DownWhile most people that decorate their homes for the holidays have no problem feeling the festive mood to hang outdoor Christmas lighting, the take-down can be a different story. Be Happy Property Services professional lighting team handles everything! We mean everything! We’ll design the display, order the supplies, install the lights and décor, and then, we’ll even come back and take those lights down after the holidays. An important task, especially considering most of us don’t have the same ambition or energy after the holidays. We can pack and store your lights for the summer so that next year, we can do it all again! Don’t wait! Christmas is coming upon us fast and the time needed to design, order and schedule your installation is limited. Like every business right now, we have limited employees and our wait time can be a bit longer than we like. Call us today to begin your Christmas lighting design consultation with the Be Happy Property Services professional lighting team, or reach out with our easy contact form below! Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all! 907-336-7434.
As winter approaches, it’s time to think about how to make your business an accessible, safer, and happier environment for your employees to commute to every day. This is where hiring a professional snow plow service is an excellent way to relieve the everyday stresses of snow removal for your business. Read on to find out reasons why contacting Be Happy Property Services to handle your snow stress is beneficial for your business, and why commercial snow removal can protect you and others from common issues we face during the snow and winter months.
Protect your employeesHaving snow buildup around your office building or your business’ home base can be a huge health hazard to your employees and customers. If you don’t take care of it, people could get hurt which is why as a business owner, you are expected to clear your sidewalks during the snowy seasons. Moreover, snow can sometimes mask patches of black ice, which can also cause serious injuries if slipped on. A snowplow will clear up all that excess snow for you in no time.
AccessibilityMake it easier for your employees and customers to access their cars, park in safe spots and, most importantly, enter your establishment. Maintain productivity and convenience, by keeping employees happy and customers safe.
Reliability & Guaranteed ServiceYou can’t rely on the weather doing you a favor and not dumping large amounts of snow on your curb, but you can rely on it being taken care of when you hire Be Happy Property Services. Contract Be Happy Property Services to take care of your excessive snow for you. When hiring a reliable, reputable local company you can feel assured knowing that we will professionally tend to your plowing needs while maintaining your curb and plants with quality equipment.
EquipmentDon’t risk ruining your sidewalk or taking more time than necessary to get your snow out of the way. Calling on the experienced staff at Be Happy Property Services, utilizing up-to-date equipment, is a way to ensure that your snow will be handled safely, quickly and efficiently. You can rest assured knowing the plowing will be done correctly, and won’t cause any surface damage to your property.
Focus on running your business, not maintaining the buildingInvest in your business by eliminating building maintenance. You wouldn’t be your own custodian, would you? You have other things to focus on. Hire Be Happy Property Services for your snow removal needs so your company won’t suffer from a loss of business due to inaccessible conditions.
Peace of mindBetween worrying about the snow on the ground and tiptoeing across an icy driveway, snowstorms and built-up snow on your property is a waste of time. Having it cleared regularly by the professionals at Be Happy Property Services helps you to relax, knowing that it’s taken care of—and don’t we all need one less thing to worry about? In heavy snow conditions, don’t add to your workload by trying to take on snow removal on top of everything else you need to do for your business. Prepare to face winter with the organizational skills and productivity that Be Happy Property Services provides, and forget the worries that snow may bring. Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all! 907-336-7434.
If you’re looking to invest back into your home, you’ve probably already considered several possible remodeling projects. Renovating your home can boost its value, make it more attractive to prospective buyers. It also transforms it into a better place for you and your family in the present. Let's discuss the home improvement projects with the highest return-on-investment.
First, focus on any essential projectsRight from the start, you might be tempted to jump right into a kitchen or bathroom remodel. After all, you’re in your kitchen every single day—you know just how much it needs a makeover. Before you invest in this type of remodeling, you should really prioritize spending your money, time, and attention. It might sound boring, but replacing your failing garage door or fixing a leaking roof should come first.
Looking for a quick fix to feel motivated? Here are some great ideas to add instant curb appeal.Most essential home projects have a high ROI, because many of them make it possible for you to sell your home. Major home issues like structural damage or a bad roof should be fixed before listing a home for sale.
If your home’s cooling and heating systems need to be replacedTake care of that project before you invest in other areas of your home. Yes, a seemingly mundane furnace replacement isn’t going to stand out when people tour your home, however, you’ll have a much easier time selling it when they start looking over the finer details. Plus, you’ll be able to enjoy a more comfortable and efficient home until then.
Refresh your kitchen and bathroomOnce you’ve completed any essential items, you can move onto the fun stuff: remodeling your kitchen and bathroom. Not surprisingly, these two spaces are typically at the top of most homeowner’s to-do lists. Generally speaking, kitchen and bathroom remodels have a high ROI and can have a major impact on your home’s value. The key to getting the most possible value out of your renovation is setting a scope and staying within your budget. Yes, you can build the kitchen of your dreams by putting an extra ten thousand dollars into the project. But, if you’re not going to get that money back when you sell your home, that might not be the wisest investment. Any successful kitchen remodel involves new cabinets and countertops. Be Happy Property Services is here to assist you in recommending high-quality materials and expert installation: cutting corners on granite, quartz, or cabinetry can lead to a shoddy finish and reduced value. You’ll likely spend up to half of your total budget on these materials, but there are ways to save money. In either room, limit the scope of the project to contain your total overhead. For example, you may not have the budget to replace both the tub and the shower, so just replace the shower and put your remaining money into new floors, a bathroom vanity, and new lighting fixtures. If you’re planning on staying in your home for at least a little while, you can also break the project into phases. Some homeowners remodel most of the kitchen first, and then wait a bit before buying new appliances and putting the finishing touches on the project.
Change your backyard for the betterThe backyard is really a major selling point of so many homes. The right backyard can be an inviting space that connects the home to the beauty of the outdoors—especially in the nicest times of the year. A new deck can add significant value to your home. If your home isn’t built for a deck, instead re-imagine your patio. A built-in grill, a gas-lit fire pit, and a cooking prep area can transform your backyard into the place to be in the summer, while also making your home more attractive and valuable. When it comes to value-boosting home upgrades, the list is nearly limitless. Give us a call for a free estimate. We are more than happy to point you in the right direction, showing you what other local homeowners are doing. With our help, you’ll be able to prioritize what projects you should take on first. Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all! 907-336-7434.
Have you been told you need to hire an excavation contractor? Not sure what an excavation contractor is, or what they can offer you? When you know that you will need to excavate your property, it can be tempting to DIY in an attempt to save money. However, this often leads to trouble, and eventually makes it expensively clear why people pay for professional excavation services. If you are on the fence about this issue, here are four reasons why you should go with a team of professionals on your next excavation project.
1. High Risk of Damage to Property During ExcavationOne of the major reasons it is inadvisable to DIY when it comes to excavation projects is that there is a high risk of damaging your own property. It is not uncommon for a professional team of excavators to be called in after a homeowner’s already damaged their home or landscaping. So, to avoid having your utilities, home, or something else severely damaged, call in the professionals. Be Happy Property Services is licensed, bonded, and insured, allowing you to have peace of mind!
2. Right Excavation, Right EquipmentWhen it comes to excavation, a shovel and post hole digger isn’t enough, but that is often all a regular homeowner will have available. With Be Happy Property Services, our professional contractors are equipped with everything they need to complete the job - from start to finish.
3. No Liability For Damage or InjuryAs most property owners have never engaged in excavation, the likelihood of personal injury or damage increases. If things become damaged or someone becomes injured doing the job, the property owner will be held liable. Here at Be Happy Property Services, we are licensed, bonded and insured. That way, should something unexpectedly go wrong, you won’t be on the hook for the cost of fixing it, as our insurance will cover any issues.
4. Reduce Risks Of ErosionPost-excavation, there can be significant risk of soil erosion. However, with professional excavation services, that risk can be greatly reduced, giving you greater peace of mind protecting your excavated site. So, if you are looking for a top-notch team of professionals for your next excavation project, be sure to contact Be Happy Property Services. We are ready to help you with all your excavation landscaping needs! Be Happy Property Services provides residential and commercial properties in Anchorage and our surrounding areas with dependable, licensed, insured, and bonded services. One call, we do it all! 907-336-7434.
It would be amazing if all you needed to prep your home for fall was hang a wreath and light a bunch of pumpkin spice candles. While yes, those are a crucial part of getting ready for the change of seasons, there are more important (and not exactly fun) preparations that come with being a homeowner. Consider everything you need to know before your house transitions from warm summer days to cool nights to freezing temperatures.